Are you considering studying abroad in Romania? This Eastern European country is a hidden gem in the world of education and offers a unique cultural experience. Whether you’re interested in pursuing a degree in engineering, medicine, or the arts, Romania has something to offer for every student. In this article, we will cover everything you need to know about studying in Romania, from the top universities to the cost of living.
Why Study in Romania?
- Low Academic Requirements: Individuals with a minimum academic percentage in higher secondary or three-year diploma can apply, there is no bar for academic excellence. Students with gaps of 4–5 years can also apply.
- Affordable Quality European Degree: Tuition fees start from 2000-5000 EUR per year. With a low tuition fee, you can get a European international degree.
- No IELTS Required: IELTS or any English language test is not necessary to apply in Romania. An English recommendation letter is sufficient. Some universities may require IELTS for specific courses.
- PSW and PR Option: After completing your course, you will get a 1-year Post-Study Work Visa. After 5 years of work visa, you can apply for PR.
- English Medium Study: Although the official language is Romanian, universities offer degrees in English for international students. Most people speak English, making it easy for students to get an education.
- High Employment Rate: Romania has a high employment rate compared to some European countries. This provides job opportunities for both national and international students.
- Affordable Living Cost: An individual can easily cover all expenses like rent, food, clothing, personal hygiene, and transport by working 20 hours a week. The cost of living in Romania is very affordable.
Top Universities in Romania that accept Nepali students
Romania is home to some of the best universities in Europe, and the majority of them are located in the capital city of Bucharest. The following are some top universities in Romania:
University of Bucharest: Established in 1864, this university is one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in Romania. It offers a wide range of programs, including medicine, engineering, law, and economics.
Polytechnic University of Bucharest: This university is one of the best technical universities in Romania and is known for its programs in engineering, architecture, and computer science.
Babeș-Bolyai University: This university is located in the city of Cluj-Napoca and is one of the largest universities in Romania. It offers a wide range of programs, including medicine, psychology, and economics.
Cost of Living in Romania
The cost of living in Romania is relatively low compared to other countries in Europe. The average monthly rent for a one-bedroom flat in Bucharest is around €300, and the cost of food and other necessities is also reasonable.
However, it is important to note that the cost of living can vary depending on the city you’re living in and your personal lifestyle. Students who are on a tight budget can easily live in Romania for less than €500 per month.
Scholarships and Financial Aid in Romania for Nepali Students
There are several scholarships and financial aid options available for international students in Romania. The Romanian government offers scholarships for foreign students through its Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and many universities also offer their own scholarships. Additionally, private organizations and foundations also offer scholarships for international students.
Visa Requirements for Studying in Romania from Nepal
International students including Nepalese students who wish to study in Romania must obtain a student visa. The process of obtaining a student visa is fairly straightforward and involves submitting your application, passport, and supporting documents to the Romanian embassy in your home country.
Steps for Enrolling in a University in Romania from Nepal
- Select a University and Course: The first step in the enrolment process is to select a university and course that matches your previous study background. Consider factors such as location, campus facilities, and course content to find the right fit for you.
- Obtain an Offer Letter: Once you have decided on a university, it’s time to get enrolled and obtain an offer letter. To do this, you will need to submit a copy of your passport, educational documents (SLC/+2/TU transcript and certificate), and IELTS certificate (if you have one).
- Send Application and Postal Fees: After receiving the offer letter, you will need to send the application and postal fees to the university, as outlined in the offer letter.
- Tuition Fee Payment: In parallel, you will also need to send the tuition fee to the university bank account as specified in the offer letter. The university may accept tuition fee payments in the form of an electronic transfer (SWIFT) or demand draft. If you choose to send a demand draft, the amount will be frozen in your bank account until the university receives the original draft after your visa has been approved.
- Submit scanned documents (application form, attested academic certificates, certified birth certificate, medical certificate, proof of payment) to the university
- Wait 30–45 days for the original Letter of Acceptance from the university
- At the same time, student needs to make Travel Medical Insurance (Plan A to C) for the period of 1 year.
- Lodge a Visa by submitting documents online, attend an interview and collecting a decision from the embassy (Accept or Reject)
- If the visa is accepted, you need to book the flight to your destination country and inform the university about your travel plans.
- After arrival, you need to complete the registration process and attend the orientation program organized by the university.
- You need to also make arrangements for your accommodation and other necessary facilities.
- Start your studies and enjoy your stay in the foreign country.
Mandatory Documents for Studying in Romania for Nepalese Students
When applying to study in Romania, it’s important to have all the necessary documents in order. The following is a comprehensive list of mandatory documents that you will need to provide:
- Educational Documents: You will need to provide attested copies of your SLC, +2, and bachelor’s degree certificates from the National Examination Board, Sanothimi, Bhaktapur. If you have studied abroad, you will need to have your educational certificates verified by the related Embassy and then by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Education in Nepal. You should have 1 original and 2 good quality photocopies of the attested certificates.
- NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the Ministry of Education: This certificate confirms that you have no objections from the Ministry of Education to study abroad.
- Updated CV: Your curriculum vitae should include information about your education, work experience, and any relevant skills or accomplishments.
- Statement of Purpose or Motivational Letter: This document should explain why you want to study in Romania and what your career goals are.
- Sponsorship Letter: If you are being sponsored by someone, you will need to provide a letter from your sponsor confirming their financial support.
- Bank Balance Certificate and Statement: You will need to provide evidence of sufficient funds to support your studies in Romania, in the form of a bank balance certificate and statement. The statement should cover a period of up to 3 months, if possible.
- Birth Certificate: You will need to provide a birth certificate certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Medical Certificate: You will need to provide a medical certificate certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Translated Citizenship: You will need to provide a translated copy of your citizenship.
In addition to these mandatory documents, you may also be required to provide supplementary documents such as a relationship certificate, property valuation and tax clearance certificate, proof of all income sources, citizenship of your father and mother, police report, and CA report.
Where is Romania located? What are its neighbouring countries?
Romania is located in southeastern Europe and is bordered by Ukraine to the north, Moldova to the northeast, Hungary to the west, Serbia to the southwest, and Bulgaria to the south.
Conclusion about Study in Romania from Nepal
Studying in Romania is a great opportunity for international students who are looking for a unique cultural experience and a high-quality education. With its top universities, low cost of living, and numerous scholarship and financial aid options, Romania is a great option for students of all backgrounds and interests. If you’re considering studying abroad in Romania, we encourage you to start your research and take advantage of all the opportunities that this amazing country has to offer.